What a weird-sounding dish this is. Actually, kwek kwek is not something as exotic as the balut (boiled duck embryo). Kwek kwek are just a bunch of quail eggs that are cooked in batter and deep-fried. It usually has an orange shade.
A kwek kwek is one of those goodies sold by carts along the streets (street foods). A lot of people love this dish, hence more and more recipes are popping up on the Internet. Truth be told, this is really easy to make. All you need are the following ingredients:
12 pieces of boiled quail eggs
1 cup of flour
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/2 cup of mineral water
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon annatto powder
1/2 teaspoon of black or white pepper
2 cups of olive oil
How to cook:
1. Roll around the boiled quail eggs in cornstarch.
2. In a separate container, mix the flour, salt and pepper.
3. Add in the annatto powder to the flour, salt and pepper.
4. Add in the quail eggs to the mixing bowl.
5. Heat the pan and add in olive oil. I’m saying olive oil because it’s healthier.
6. Deep fry the quail eggs and make sure that it is fully coated with batter.
7. Serve the kwek kwek with vinegar or chili sauce.
Enjoy the dish!