Medical Infectious Waste found Dumped off the coast of Barangay Ibo!
Yellow garbage bag with medical waste has been found floating on the sea shores around Brgy. Ibo and Poblacion in Lapu-lapu City. The medical waste found includes syringe, kidney trays, dextrose, blood containers, fecal tubes, chemistry strips, cotton swab, reservoir bags and IV containers, among other things.
Last January 5, residents reported to City Mayor Paz Radaza. Mayor Radaza said they sent notices to the two hospitals (Chong Hua and another hospital in Mandaue) to explain how their medical wastes reached the city’s shores.
Lapu-lapu City and Natural Resources (CENRO) officer Christian Casio said that they hauled 4 sacks of medical wastes in two Barangay (Ibo and Poblacion) and solutions which contains with Sodium Chloride this last January 11. Some other waste was also found in Butuanon river in Barangay Paknaan, Mandaue City.
The Lapu-lapu Government warned fishermen and tourist to be careful about enjoying the beaches until the water testing is ongoing. The public were also warned against going near or touching improperly disposed medical wastes, and instead report their discovery to authorities.
What are "Infectious waste"?
According to the World Health Organization, Infectious waste are waste contaminated with blood and other bodily fluids (e.g. from discarded diagnostic samples), cultures and stocks of infectious agents from laboratory work (e.g. waste from autopsies and infected animals from laboratories), or waste from patients with infections (e.g. swabs, bandages and disposable medical devices). Medical waste can infect public and damage the environment.
Republic Act 9003 or “Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000”
What law explains the violation?
Republic Act 9003 or “Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000.” Section 48. Prohibited Acts – The following acts are prohibited:
- Littering, throwing, dumping of waste matters in public places, such as roads, sidewalks, canals, esteros or parks, and establishment, or causing or permitting the same;
- Undertaking activities or operating, collecting or transporting equipment in violation of sanitation operation and other requirements or permits set forth in established pursuant;
- The open burning of solid waste;
- Causing or permitting the collection of non-segregated or unsorted wastes;
- Squatting in open dumps and landfills;
- Open dumping, burying of biodegradable or non-biodegradable materials in flood prone areas;
- Unauthorized removal of recyclable material intended for collection by authorized persons;
- The mixing of source-separated recyclable material with other solid waste in any vehicle, box, container or receptacle used in solid waste collection or disposal;
- Establishment or operation of open dumps as enjoined in this Act, or closure of said dumps in violation of Sec. 37;
- The manufacture, distribution or use of non-environmentally acceptable packaging materials;
- Importation of consumer products packaged in non-environmentally acceptable materials;
- Importation of toxic wastes misrepresented as "recyclable" or "with recyclable content";
- Transport and dumplog in bulk of collected domestic, industrial, commercial, and institutional wastes in areas other than centers or facilities prescribe under this Act;
- Site preparation, construction, expansion or operation of waste management facilities without an Environmental Compliance Certificate required pursuant to Presidential Decree No. 1586 and this Act and not conforming with the land use plan of the LGU;
- The construction of any establishment within two hundred (200) meters from open dumps or controlled dumps, or sanitary landfill; and
- The construction or operation of landfills or any waste disposal facility on any aquifer, groundwater reservoir, or watershed area and or any portions thereof.
Angkas bikers and Habal-habal hoping for Supreme Court reconsideration
Poor Green Sea Turtles Butchered in Pasil, Cebu
Did you know that there was a fire last Christmas at Duljo Fatima?!
What You Should Know About the Philippine Identity System (PhilSys)
Miss Universe 2018 is Catriona Gray, Philippines!