Tips for Tourists Series: Taking a Boat Ride to Other Islands? Here are the Do’s and Don’ts in Cebu Port Area
Source: Kaisersibi, WIkimedia Commons
The Cebu Port connects Cebu to the different provinces and islands in the Visayas and in the entire Philippines.
Different vessels stay there and wait for passengers. It’s also one of the busiest places in Cebu as passengers from all parts of Cebu come to and fro the area. If you are passing by or going to the Cebu Port Area, you have to know certain do’s and don’ts.
Source: Cebu Daily News
- Don’t flaunt or show any expensive item or gadget when going or even passing by the port. The port isn’t really a safe place to use or even show expensive items. There are a number of bad elements just looming around. The port is one of the places where a lot of preys are available to predators.
- Don’t try to draw attention to yourself. It would be advisable to dress down a bit. Just wear casual and ordinary clothes. Don’t overdress and wear clothes that shout EXPENSIVE! This would make you less susceptible to theft as people would think that you are not bringing anything valuable or a lot of cash.
- Do make sure that you take extra precautionary measures when you go to the port. Keep your wallet safely tucked in. If you are going to the port to catch your ferry, make sure that you don’t keep you cash in a single bag. You may also want to put emergency money inside your shoes or secret pockets just in case your bag gets stolen.
- Always be on the lookout when you are in the port. It pays to be vigilant. Check your belongings and bags ever so often. Don’t leave your belongings unattended. When someone in your group gets tickets, make sure that you are keeping an eye on your belongings.
- Keep an eye on the people around you. You need to be on your guard and be attentive. Be careful of those who might try to talk to you and ask for help. There are a number of people who might trick you to getting your money and your belongings. Never trust someone you barely know unless there’s a reason you do. Never talk to strangers unless it’s important, like asking for directions.
- If you are bringing children and toddlers with you, be sure to grip them tightly and never let them wander on their own. There are lots of people in the port area and you wouldn’t want to lose them in a sea of crowd. Just in case you get separated, let your kids bring a mobile phone so they can call you. You can also attach name tags around their neck which also bears your contact number just in case they get lost. This is so security personnel who might have found your kids.
- These are just some of the things that you have to remember when chancing the Cebu Port Area. Be vigilant and always be ready once you’re there.